- MSC Cruises’ next flag-ship, MSC Bellissima, to be christened in Southampton, UK in March 2019
- This new digital guest service,co-developed with HARMAN, is an evolution of MSC for Me, will launch on MSC Bellissima
The Company also announced that MSC Bellissima, which will be MSC Cruises’ next flagship, will be christened in the port of Southampton, UK on 2nd March 2019. The two announcements were made today in London at the launch of MSC Cruises’ new 2019-2020 brochure to travel agent partners and media.
Gianni Onorato, CEO of MSC Cruises, commented, “This is another example of how we are continuously innovating to better serve the needs of our guests, not only for the cruise guests of today but those of the future as we shape the future of the cruise holiday. We employ state-of-the-art technology in a uniquely comprehensive way, building it into every step of the development of our new ships, starting from their conception and design to the final guest experience. It is through our cruise expertise, the skill of our shipyard partners and our unique collaborations with world-leading digital and technology experts such as Samsung and now HARMAN, that we are able to introduce ground-breaking technology to provide our guests with a connected experience that enhances their cruise from beginning to end.”
The virtual personal assistant for MSC Cruises guests is a conversational, voice-enabled Artificial Intelligence (AI) innovation that can communicate, learn and intelligently predict guests’ needs in order to make relevant suggestions. This new and unique offering will provide guests with tailored information to help simplify and enhance their MSC Cruises holiday experience by providing quick and easy answers to questions from the comfort of their own cabin.
Industry-Leading Digital Innovation
MSC Cruises’ digital innovation programme has been devised in collaboration with more than eleven of the world’s leading digital, tech and behavioural science experts, including Deloitte Digital and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. This latest enhancement to MSC for Me has been developed by MSC Cruises’ dedicated Business Innovation team led by Luca Pronzati, Chief Innovation Officer and HARMAN, experts in the field of voice-enabled technology having developed audio solutions for technology leaders such as Amazon, Google and Microsoft. This new collaboration is as a result of the long-standing relationship between MSC Cruises and Samsung, a true partnership founded on a joint vision to shape the future of the cruise industry through the introduction of the very best connected technologies.
Sanjay Dhawan, President, HARMAN Connected Services and HARMAN CTO, commented, “Digital Assistants and voice recognition technologies are transforming the way we communicate and get our work done today. With this outstanding solution, MSC Cruises will completely transform its guests’ experience on board. Imagine getting instant and personalised information like cruise events, entertainment options, journey updates, or just playing your favourite music by a simple voice command. HARMAN is excited to bring this innovation to MSC Cruises.”
Unlike other home digital assistants that rely on cloud-based programmes with internet-connected devices or applications, this digital offering will be designed around a ship-based solution, customised especially for MSC Cruises’ guests’ needs. The current ways in which guests seek their information on board will be further enhanced, allowing for a uniquely personalised experience. Reflecting MSC Cruises’ truly international onboard offer, guests will be able to communicate with the new digital personal assistant device in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Brazilian Portuguese and Mandarin. The personal assistant will initially launch on MSC Bellissima, but will be available on all future new ships and plans are in place to introduce the feature to the rest of the fleet.
The unique service is the latest feature of MSC for Me, a multi-channel digital experience that is designed to connect guests to their holiday experience with cutting-edge technology. It includes the MSC for Me App, in-cabin connected television, and the interactive information screens around the ship amongst other features. MSC for Me was first launched on board MSC Bellissima’s award-winning sister ship, MSC Meraviglia.
MSC Bellissima brings beauty to Southampton
MSC Bellissima will become MSC Cruises’ fourth mega-ship to come into service in either less than three years or since 2017 and as part of a 12 new ships, ten-year €10.5 billion investment program. She will represent a further evolution of the award-winning Meraviglia prototype as her sister-ship, MSC Meraviglia, which came into service in June 2017 was awarded Cruise Critic’s Editors’ Picks “Best New Ship in the UK” in 2017.
Launching as MSC Cruises’ next flagship, MSC Bellissima will be christened in Southampton on 2nd March 2019 at a glamorous event that will be attended by VIP guests from all around the world as well as the UK and Ireland.
Mr Onorato continued, “The crowning moment of the launch of any new ship is her Christening, a traditional maritime ceremony that holds great importance for us. For each new ship, MSC Cruises carefully selects a country and a port to host the Christening. We have chosen to host the Christening of MSC Bellissima in Southampton as a demonstration of our continued commitment to growth in the UK and Ireland. This is a truly beautiful ship, worthy of the name Bellissima and this Christening will be a truly beautiful moment for MSC Cruises and the UK .”
An enriched onboard experience
Each new MSC Cruises ship is designed to be unique and distinctive and MSC Bellissima is no exception. In addition to the new cruise personal assistant, the ship will offer new features and experiences.
Some of the highlights include:
- Two new shows from Cirque du Soleil at Sea that can only be seen on board MSC Bellissima. The shows are currently under creative development are the result of a long term partnership with world leaders in entertainment, Cirque du Soleil and will see a total of eight original productions created for the four Meraviglia generation ships.
- The theatre will offer newly devised West-End style entertainment every evening and the iconic LED Sky Screen, the longest at sea at an impressive 80 metres long, will delight guests with a series of exciting animations and shows.
- The on board dining has been further enhanced with the introduction of two new dining concepts - L’Atelier Bistrot, with terrace seating where guests can enjoy the Promenade as well as the modern, street food inspired Market Street, serving a whole array of tempting delights throughout the day and into the evening.
- MSC Cruise’ award-winning family offering will also see some new features including the introduction of a fun Grand Canyon theme for the Aquapark and a host of new magic inspired kids entertainment for kids of all ages. The family deck will include the DOREMI Studio Lounge, a dedicated lounge for all family activities, DOREMI Tech Lab, a must visit destination for kids who love technology, as well as facilities designed in partnership with family experts including the LEGO Group and Chicco.
MSC Bellissima will spend her inaugural season in the ever-popular Western Mediterranean before moving to spend the winter in the United Arab Emirates, calling Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sir Bani Yas, Muscat and Khasab.
Visit here to find out more about MSC Bellissima.